Kim
This is the second time I have made this whole wheat bread. It turned out so perfect the first time I was actually nervous I wouldn't be able to get the same results when I made it again. I was wrong, it turned out just as good. I found the recipe in an old recipe book called Multi-Grains. Tony's mom had it in her collection of old cookbooks that he got after she passed away.

The Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbl brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 pks of Instant Dry Yeast, or 1 and 1/2 Tbl of Instant Yeast
  • 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup Reg White flour, All-Purpose or Bread flour (I use high gluten white flour)
  • 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
  • 1 Tbl salt
  • 1/3 cup powdered milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg slightly beaten

In a small bowl, mix 1/2 c. warm water, 1 tbl brown sugar, and the yeast. This will double in size by the time you add it to the dough.

In a small pan mix 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups of water and place on the stove on medium to low heat. Stir constantly. This mixture will be lumpy at first and will stick to the pan but keep stirring.
As you stir it will get lumpy and stick together but gradually this will smooth out and be like thick wallpaper paste. Should look more like cooked dark grits.
I like to use my bread machine to knead and mix. I could use my Kitchen Aid mixer but that would mean more parts to wash. I like how my bread machine only has 2 pieces to wash, and that it is small and contained. I just use the dough setting but I do NOT let it rise or bake in my bread machine as this would be too much and frankly, I just do not like the taste of bread baked in my bread machine.

Put the cooked whole wheat mixture into a mixing bowl and add the following ingredients in this exact order: 1/3 c. packed brown sugar, 1 tbl salt (can be just a tad short of a full tablespoon), 1/3 c. powdered milk, 1/3 c. oil, 1 slightly beaten egg, and 1 c. whole wheat flour. Mix well.
This will just take a few minutes to make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated.

Now add the yeast mixture. In case you are worried, the cooked wheat will be cool enough by now to not kill the yeast.
Add the remaining 1 and 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour and the 1 cup of white flour. Knead or mix for about ten minutes. My bread machine is timesd for about 20 minutes and I use that time to wash all my dishes and measuring cups. Like I said I really like using it for the pain in the butt part of making homemade bread, stirring and kneading-too hands on when you are busy.

Once the bread is fully kneaded place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a dampened tea towel, or lightly cover with plastic wrap. I place my rising bread in the oven with the light on. Let rise until double in size, normally about an hour but could vary depending on the warmth and humidity in your home.

Once doubled put back in the mixing bowl or bread machine and knead again for just 2-3 minutes. You can also hand knead this for the same amount of time. Let rise again as you did before.
**If time is a factor you can skip this rise and start the process of putting it into the bread pans.**

This is what the bread dough will look like after the second rise. (This is not a twoo-mhore) Divide this into two equal pieces.

On a lightly floured surface knead just to shape into a small rectangle. (I cannot believe how dry my skin is. How can I have such oily skin on my face and my hands be the Sahara Desert? Old age, that is how)

I use a rolling pin to get an even layer and my awesome pastry cloth I bought at a garage sale. Love it! The side braces fit over the edge of the counter and keeps it in place as I knead of roll out dough.

To get a good cylinder shaped loaf, roll up, pressing down after each roll to be sure the bread is joined together and there will not be a gap, or air pocket, when the bread bakes.

Karate chop each end and tuck under.

Pinch and press the ends of the bread that was tucked under.

Place in a lightly oiled bread pan making sure the bread stretches to the corners. Let rise again for another hour to an hour and a half.

Once bread has doubled in size brush the top lightly with egg white and place in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. (it totally looks like a twoo-mhore)

The top will look slightly burnt but its not and it doesn't taste burnt either. Trust me. Though I am going to try cooking this bread at 350 degrees for 40 minutes next time so maybe I can get the same stiff, strong crust with a lighter looking crust.

This is what the bread looks like taken with a flash. See the carmel color?

Once the bread is out of the oven, take the loaves out of the pans and place on a cooling rack for about 20-30 minutes. Or if your husband has been chomping at the bit 10 minutes will be enough time.

I have loved using my bread slicer I got for $2 at the Goodwill Store. It makes perfect slices for sandwiches.
I make bread a lot, my kids will eat it only as toast with butter and jelly because they say it just isn't good for sandwiches or plain. In a way they are right, homemade wheat bread just doesn't hold up, it is normally too crumbly and tastes a little 'off'. However, not this recipe as Anna said the first time she had a piece, "Mommy, this taste just like real bread!" Based on how fast we went through this bread last week it looks like I will be making it again on Thursday.
Labels: , | edit post
0 Responses