Kim
My daughter likes to bring her lunch from home instead of buying a meal from the cafeteria. Anyone who knows me, knows I would much rather write a check, for the entire year, then get up five minutes earlier to make her lunch.

Kindergarten was almost 80% school cafeteria, but then she realized that her stepsister, the super picky eater, brought her lunch and first grade became 90% lunches from home. (Damn my super responsible, caring, sympathetic, loving husband for letting the cat out of the bag) So this year, second grade, I didn't even bother writing a check for the cafeteria in the hope I would be off the hook and able to sleep five minutes longer. I sucked it up and decided to not be lazy and go ahead and pack her a lunch everyday. I even bought an assortment of little note cards I can periodically stick in her lunch box and hopefully brighten her day.

The school year started off great. Can you believe it has been a month already? I made four loaves of homemade bread to use for sandwiches and went to Sam's to stock up on other lunch goodies. This is where I made one of my first errors. Chex Mix is not an acceptable snack. When Anna told me this I was like, WHHUUU?? She told me Chex Mix has too much salt and she can't have it. Again, WHUUU?? I thought I was finally going to take my, "peanut butter allergies and bee allergies are both serious so is the school going to forbid bees on the playground?", rant straight to the school board. But my husband told me to just ask the teacher and stop yelling at him I decided to ask her teacher if it was true that Anna couldn't have Chex Mix for a snack. Needless to say, her teacher had no idea where Anna had gotten that information. I do, her "friends". Apparently, it is not cool to have Chex Mix. FYI, granola bars and fruit snacks are the IN snack, and they have less salt. Right, uh-huh, obviously these second graders need to read Eat This, Not That. Funny thing about this is that Anna picked out some granola bars at the grocery store and they are the generic Always Save. When I was a kid that was a big no, no.

My second mistake was sending leftover Hungarian Ghoulash in a soup thermos. "I couldn't eat it. They said it was gross." I was then informed that only soup, and it must be chicken noodle, or spaghetti can be sent in a thermos. I didn't bother asking the teacher about that one.

My third mistake, and where I have decide that this is not a hill worth fighting for, was when I thought I would surprise her with a turkey tortilla wrap. The Internet says wraps are the perfect sandwich to break up the monotony of PB&Js (not that she can even bring peanut butter). I made the wrap awesome! I put red bell peppers, her favorite and used veggie cream cheese for the dressing. When I asked her if she liked my surprise for lunch she proceeded to tell me that NO, they wouldn't even sit by her when they saw her lunch. They got up and moved to another table. And why did I do that to her?

Okay, forget it, from now on it will be Instant Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup, like that doesn't have salt! a granola bar, grapes, and a Capri Sun. Like I said, not a battle worth fighting for, though I would love to take on these little "friends". By the way, saying they're just jealous does NOT work, but thanks anyway. Just kill me now.
5 Responses
  1. Charlotte Says:

    Too funny! I never got cool lunches when I was in elementary school. I never had chips or ho-hos or anything like that, but it wasn't that big of a deal. Now I wish my mom would make those lunches for me so I could eat them at work everyday! Even without the chips :)


  2. Charlotte Says:

    I should add that I am wayyyyy to old for my mom to be making me lunch.


  3. Those lunches sound pretty good - wish I could take them! If my kids couldn't take PB&J they'd starve... guess that's one perk of a small, politically incorrect town.


  4. Kim Says:

    I know! PB&J is what some kids live on.

    I never got cool lunches either. My mom made me a bologna sandwich every single day. In second grade I was sent to the principal's office because I was caught throwing my sandwich away. I have never eaten a bologna sandwich since then. And the milk! They delivered it to our classroom so early that by the time it was lunch the milk was warm. Bleh!


  5. April Spicer Says:

    Seriously???? Seriously???? You have got to be kidding me! I mean, I don't have school aged children yet but if Noah told me his friends wouldn't sit with him, I'd tell him to get new friends. I mean, come on! Why did packing a lunch have to become so difficult? I cannot believe that. Unreal. Obviously, I am of NO help.