Kim
I love love love this meal. I love all the flavors the sour cream, the tomatoes, the spice. So incredibly good and it happens to be my dad's favorite homemade dish. Not that knowing it is my dad's favorite had anything to do with me making it. Just some extraneous info in case you happen to run into my dad and ask him over for dinner. He would tell you some great Civil War battlefield stories. But I would wait until after the elections are over, he is a little tense right now.

Back to the Goulash. Here are the main ingredients and this recipe will serve 8 and it makes the best leftovers. Yum!

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 pounds of beef round steak, cut in 1/2-inch cubes (veal can be used as well)
  • 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup of flour
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered thyme
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon of pepper
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
  • 16 oz sour cream
  • Noodles (egg, no yolk, wide, whatever anyone likes)
Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Season the meat with salt and pepper and brown it in the oil. After the meat is almost brown add the onion and garlic. Cook until onion and garlic are tender.

In a small bowl mix together the flour, paprika, and thyme. Slowly add to the meat until it is incorporated into the mixture. Transfer to your Crock Pot.

In a mixing bowl dump in the tomatoes. With a potato masher or fork break up the tomatoes. I also cut off the top with the core but that is optional. Pour all of this into the Crock Pot, add the bay leaves, and stir.

Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4. Before serving stir in sour cream and ladle over noodles.

Like I said I love Hungarian Goulash just wish I didn't have to do all the meat browning, onion tenderizing, flour mixing before hand. But I have tried it without doing all that prep work, just throwing it in the Crock Pot--not as good. I haven't served this to my step kids, they may or may not like it since it is different and has tomatoes, but I loved it as a kid and my daughter really likes it. And my dad, well you already know he does. German Chocolate is his favorite dessert, just so you know.

(Can be made on the stove top just simmer covered for one hour, stirring frequently)
Labels: , | edit post
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    SOOOOOOOOO GLAD you had a recipe today! I was sitting here already fretting about what to make for dinner and now I know!

    thanks crockster!

    T


  2. Jared Says:

    This looks awesome. Never thought about making ghoulash, but this I will need to try. It's great how cheap cuts of meat break down and become so tender in the slow cooker. That is one thing that the stove top can never deliver on.