Kim

Every Thursday Sandra at Family Corner has recipes for Slow Cookers from other readers. She calls it Slow Cooking Thursdays and you can find some really good recipes. Check it out.

I love dumplings! That was one of the best things about spending weeks at a time in China. I have absolutely no idea how to make Chinese dumplings but American dumplings? Oh yea, frozen or refrigerated biscuits are the way to go. Add some meat or chicken and we have a semi-homemade meal that everyone loves. This was no exception. It was the first time I made this and it will not be the last. The whole family loved it, kids, parents, the dog was begging, all of us. And the flavors? to die for.

I have inherited my husband's mother's 1960-something Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I found this yummy sounding recipe and adapted it to make in a Crockpot.

The Ingredients:
  • 2-3 lbs. of Pot Roast (I had cut mine up into medallions earlier and had frozen, they worked perfectly and only had to cook 5 hours to be super moist and tender)
  • 1 14oz can of Basil, Oregano, Garlic diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup of Rice Vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Cooking Sherry
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced (3 spoonfuls of the already minced in a jar garlic)
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 1/2 tsp of Accent (the original recipe called for Pickling Spice but I could not find that at my grocery store)
  • Salt and Pepper and Garlic Salt
  • 6-8 or 10 Frozen or refrigerated biscuits (I thawed my frozen Grands Buttermilk Biscuits ready made biscuits)

Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a pan. Season the meat with garlic salt and pepper and brown in the heated oil.

In the Crockpot add the vinegar, sherry, cloves, and Accent. Stir. Add the browned meat and cover with the can of tomatoes. Spoon garlic on top and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 hours on high, 8-10 on low.

After cooking place the biscuits on top of the meat and sauce.


Cover and turn on high for half hour to 40 minutes. Serve and enjoy the praise.

Labels: , , | edit post
5 Responses
  1. Mom24 Says:

    This looks really yummy! Thanks for posting it. My DS loves dumplings!


  2. Sandra Says:

    Wow this looks good.....


  3. Oh, This looks so good.. Thanks for the recipe.. My mouth is watering..


  4. oooh, I have cooking sherry! yum!

    -steph


  5. I love vintage cookbooks. Sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing! :D

    Ever wonder why people collect roosters? It's becasue they're good luck! Stop by to read the Legend of the Rooster.

    For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.