Kim
This marinade is perfect for many meats and I have used it to marinate a ham the night before we smoked it. It was the marinade for the already smoked ham we had on Christmas Eve that was Thee Bestestess Ham I have ever had. I like ham, I guess, it just is a little salty and not really my thing.

At Tony's previous employer, for the holidays, he was able to choose a turkey, a ham, or what he thought was a Boston Butt. However, when we unpacked the quote-unquote, Boston Butt, we were looking at a bone-in, already smoked ham. It smelled like ham and there went my idea of a pulled pork dinner extravaganza for Christmas Eve. But not to be discouraged, we marinated it overnight anyway, cooked it on low for four hours, and then mixed a brown-sugar rub commonly found on a spiral cut honey baked ham. It was delicious! I wanted to eat it for every meal, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack. I bought brown and serve rolls and we finished off all the leftovers as mini-sandwiches.

Annnyyyywaaay, I went and bought an actual Boston Butt pork roast, which is not part of the pig's butt, but actually part of the shoulder area. And did you know that a Boston Butt is cheap? When we did our Sam's Aldi comparison we bought a large piece at Sams and cut it up into smaller pieces. Okay, the marinade already. I used the marinade I wrote down while watching Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. My friend, Sherry, told me that you can look up some of triple Ds recipes on the website but I haven't done that yet. So I have no idea what the exact measurements are. I just use equal parts for most of the ingredients.

1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 T. Celery Salt
1 T. Garlic Powder
1 T. Dried Mustard
1 T. Ground Ginger
1 T. Black Pepper
1 T. Rosemary
1 1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
1/4 cup Worcestershire
3/4 cup Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil

Whisk all together.

Place the Boston Butt in a large ziploc bag and fill with the marinade. Place in the fridge overnight.

In the morning place in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. Add the marinade sprinkle with garlic salt and a large sliced onion. Serve as sandwiches, over a baked potato, or all by itself. Like I said I have no idea what the exact measurements for the marinade is suppose to be, but I have used it several times as directed above and it was perfect.
Labels: , | edit post
4 Responses
  1. Monica Says:

    That sounds soooo good! I love BB. When we go to Sonny's BBQ, I buy a gallon of their sweet bbq sauce. I love to put it over the BB and throw it in the crock pot for pulled pork sandwiches. Can you believe we go through about 2 gallons of BBQ sauce in a year? LoL.


  2. Jkhb Says:

    I made pull pork bbq for our Superbowl party, everyone loves it. It is the easiest thing ever to cook and it's so good.


  3. Hi Stopping by from OHN I think? I've been to a bunch of blogspots today! :) I live in NW AR and shop at Aldi's as well. Do you not love that store?

    I'm going to have to try this recipe... sounds great!

    Tiffany


  4. Laura Says:

    Yum! I actually have been making a modified version of this- I take a nice hunk of pork shoulder, set it in my crockpot all day with water. This is what gets the meat to the perfect consistency. I then pour the entire contents of the crockpot into a big pot over the stove and throw in several spices and diced raw onion and reduce it for an hour and a half or so until the fat gets sucked back into the meat. It gets perfectly crispy and salty on the outside in the process. The leftovers make for an INCREDIBLE omelet filler the next morning with either a little brie or just your basic mexican three cheese.