Kim
These quick breakfast biscuits are easy and travel great while driving to work or school. During the work week I am constantly running out the door at break neck speed yelling, "Get your lunch! Grab your backpack! Did you brush your teeth? Wait, didn't you just wear that yesterday?" Yea, the epitome of the frenzied working mother.

Except this is all my fault, I am like this because I perpetually sleep in. Most mornings I lay in bed rationalizing what I can forgo on the appearance front. Breakfast does not enter my mind on the mornings I have convinced myself that I don't really have to wash my hair because I can pull it back. And if I don't have any meetings I can just wear jeans and some shirt. And the most pathetic - I can just put my makeup on at work. Needless to say at 6:30 in the morning the lazy slug in me wins out over the nurturing mother part of me.

I am not much better on the weekends but they have a much better chance of me at least getting the milk out for them--during a commercial while watching Landscaper's Challenge.

Anyway, I have perfected my rationalizing of sleeping in to include a ready made breakfast for my family. Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Biscuits. Not only are they great for quick run-out-the-door breakfasts they also make perfect meal gifts for new moms. The husbands really love them from the feedback I have gotten at work and church.

After cooking them I wrap each one in wax paper, stick them into a freezer bag and nuke in the microwave 1 min. 40 secs before running out the door.

The list of ingredients is simple:
  • tube of breakfast sausage, thoroughly browned (my family likes the HOT sausage)
  • Block of Mexican Velveeta, can be the small block that way you won't have leftovers but you will have to watch what you cut.
  • dozen eggs
  • half and half (or milk)
  • LAYER refrigerator biscuits pulled apart in either 2 pieces or 3 layers, sometimes getting 3 is not easy it depends on the brand you buy. But you must use the layered kind, regular will not work-I have tried it.
  • Salt and Pepper for egg mixture. Any season you would normally add to scrambled eggs or omelets. I really like to use cumin or taco seasoning too.
After you have pulled apart the biscuits and have determined how many you will have place each into a greased/oil sprayed muffin tin. Then cut your cheese so that each biscuit has a piece. More or less it is your preference.

Place the cheese and cooked crumbled sausage on top of each biscuit. Break the eggs and add 1/2 and 1/2 or milk and seasonings. Whip the egg mixture until all combined and then pour a small amount onto each biscuit.

This is where it takes trial and error. Too much and the egg will come right out of the muffin tin, too little and then it will be what egg? I pour until it is all lightly covered but not at the top.

Cook for 10-15 minutes at 350. Until the tops are lightly browned and the biscuit has risen and cooked through.

Now take each one and place on a wire rack to cool. Once cool, cut up enough wax paper and call some helpers. Wrap each one individually and freeze. I normally leave about 8-10 out and keep in the fridge.

The thawed ones cook in 40 seconds my microwave (old old old moved it from Chicago to California to Oklahoma)

Frozen needs just a little over 1 minute 30 seconds. This is sooooo easy and so very good. Plus it can be adjusted to individual tastes.

Now feel free to sleep in they can fend for themselves. :)
Labels: , | edit post
3 Responses
  1. 2Dmom Says:

    sounds yummy...how much 1/2 & 1/2 or milk do we use?

    cheryl


  2. Kim Says:

    Cheryl--I am not sure how much milk I put into the eggs. Probably 1/4 of a cup. When I make scrambled eggs using just 3-4 eggs I always add a small "pour" tip down and back up, does that make sense? It makes the eggs creamy and a smooth texture.

    I hope that super vague info helps. Next time I will measure as I go. Geez, I really am becoming a granny.....:)
    Kim


  3. Isn't there a rule about reading a cooking blog when you're starving? I think I need to go to the grocery store....