Kim

I found this recipe today while looking through TD's mother's recipe books. She collected old recipe books some from the 1800's. She passed away when TD was a Junior in college so I have never met her but I have heard about what a great cook she was.

The hole that is left in my husband's heart from his mother passing away is...deep...that is the only word I have to describe his acute sense of loss. When I come across her writing on a particular recipe I ask TD if he liked that dish or if he remembers it. Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. This recipe for Italian cookies sounded familar to him but he was not sure.


I decided to make it. I had no idea what the cookies would look like, how they are suppose to taste, and as you can see from her notes I wasn't sure how much flour it would take until tacky, how big they were suppose to be, drop on the sheet? cut with a cookie cutter? how long do they cook? This did not deter me and Anna from trying this recipe. I made some notes on the recipe so that I can make these cookies again.

I had to add quite a bit of flour to get this tacky. 5-8 cups (I lost count) but add a little at a time. Once the batter is more of the consistency of bread dough form into a ball on a lightly floured surface. Roll flat to about 1/2 inch thick and cut with a 3" biscuit/cookie cutter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. They come out looking like this:


They remind me of tea biscuits. TD's family is from Modena, Italy so I assume this is a legitimate Italian family recipe. They are pretty, have good form, slightly sweet, and would be GREAT with a light icing. I am going to work with this recipe more adding honey, macadamian nuts, brown sugar....I don't know, but it is such a great platform to start with. Try it and give me more ideas.

After looking for more info on these cookies I found a link Paris Breakfasts and these might actually be an Italian version of a Macaron cookie??? Look and you tell me. I think Chocolate icing would be perfect. Maybe roll thinner put some jam in the center top with another cookie?? So good.

0 Responses