Kim
This is a delicious creamy tart, very quiche like and would be wonderful if bacon was added, either crumbled on top or inside. Would the addition of bacon make it a quiche then? I have no idea but I do know this is delicious and was a favorite when I made it for a girl's weekend one afternoon without kids.

The smell of the onions and butter cooking is awesome! And the great thing is the filling can be made the night before and poured into a pie-crust right before cooking.

Don't the onions look beautiful? Man, I am hungry. I knew I should have snuck a leftover piece of this tart after I had my required bowl of oatmeal. I say "snuck" because this is definitely not Weight Watchers approved, no way, well maybe half a bite.

Without further adieu, the ingredients:

  • 1 Vidalia onion, sliced into thin strips (Sweet onions were not available so I add more sugar)
  • 2 Shallots, thinly sliced
  • 1 Leek, thinly sliced (I wash really good by soaking and then I just slice across and separate the rings)
  • 1/4 cup Butter
  • 2/3 cup Whipping Cream
  • 3 large Eggs
  • 4 oz softened Cream Cheese, cut into cubes
  • 3/4 cup grated Swiss Cheese
  • 3/4 cup grated Cheddar Jack cheese with Jalapeno peppers
  • 1 tsp Sugar
  • 1 tsp ground Nutmeg
  • 3/4 tsp Salt
  • 1 Pie-Crust for a 9" glass pie pan (if it is glass is it really still a pan?) Bring to room temperature while preparing filling.

Preheat oven to 375. In a 12" saute pan, melt the butter and add all the onions, nutmeg, sugar, and salt. Cook until slightly translucent but not browned/burned. Turn the heat down and slowly add the cheese, starting with the cream cheese. Stir until all the cheeses and the onions are combined.

In a large bowl gently beat eggs and then add the whipping cream. Stir until combined. Slowly add in the cheese and onion mixture a little bit at a time, stirring to incorporate and make smooth.

Prepare pie-crust according to instructions. Using a fork, poke some holes along the sides and the bottom. Pour in filling. Cook at 375 for 40 minutes or until top and crust is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm.

0 Responses